William M. Pegram
Home | Courses | Web Design | Office Software | Client-Side Scripting | Server-Side Scripting | About Me
Revised: September 25, 2010
Northern Virginia Community College - Annandale Campus
ITE 170 - Multimedia Software, Fall 2010 (3 credits)
Sections: 004N: Mondays 4:30-7:10, 003N: Tuesday 2-4:40, CT 230
Instructor: Dr. William M. Pegram, firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site for Class: www.billpegram.com
Prerequisite: ITE 115
The course will have several aspects:
- An introduction to XHTML, CSS and FTP, building on the XHTML/FTP knowledge now taught in ITE 115
- A hands-on introduction to multimedia software, in particular Dreamweaver CS4 (the leading web authoring/HTML editor), Flash CS4 (the leading web animation program), and Fireworks CS4 (computer graphics).
- Concepts relating to web design, web images, and web animation
Learning Web Design with Adobe CS4 Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Katherine Murray, Prentice Hall, ISBN-13: 978-0-13-507688-0. (Annandale bookstore: $69.05 new, $51.80 used, $36 eTextbook; e-Textbook $32 at www.coursesmart.com . The Non-Designer's Web Book, while an excellent book, will not be used.
You will need access to this software outside of the classroom. Here are some alternatives:
- Some of the computers in the open lab on the first floor of the CT building have the CS4 software; these should be on the right as you walk in.
- There are 30 day free downloads of Dreamweaver CS5, Flash CS5, and Fireworks CS5 at www.adobe.com. You may also purchase a DVD for $9.99 with the trial software. You can have a separate 30 day period for each of the three programs.
- Purchase of software - Because you are students at NVCC, you are eligible to purchase software at greatly reduced prices. Unfortunately where you in the past could buy a suite containing primarily Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Flash, in CS5, the available bundles include other programs and hence are more expensive. If you want all the programs taught in this course, you would want either Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium or Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web Premium. Both contain Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro); the former contains InDesign whereas the latter contains Contribute. The versions are approximately $350-360 and can be purchased from www.journeyed.com/?SKW=HMSELECT6&ref=select (within this site, the price will be 350-360 or around 450, depending on where one clicks). Another possibility is to buy the programs individually - Dreamweaver $125, Flash $140, Photoshop $180. Patriot Computers at GMU is not allowed to sell Adobe software to non-GMU people.
The free download or purchase of software at academic prices is limited to CS5, which is the current version of the software. I will be teaching CS4 but will accept homework prepared in CS5.
If you use a flash drive, try to put your name on it in some fashion in case you lose it. If you forget to bring a storage device, you can save your work to the c drive and then send an email to yourself with the file as an attachment. Nothing saved to the c:drive will be there after you logoff.
Late homework will be penalized.
Inclement Weather Policy:
Frequently asked questions about closings can be found at www.nvcc.edu/depts/homepage/closing.htm#faq In cases of class cancellation, students must go to Blackboard for specific communication and instruction for the course.
If you miss class, please check the class website for any changes to the schedule, including new assignments. You are welcome to attend class in the other section on an occasional basis, subject to capacity constraints. I will cover the same material in each of the two sections - after the second week, material will be presented first in the Tuesday section and then repeated on Monday, until class cancellations alter this schedule.
Office Hours Schedule/Tutoring:
After class and by arrangement. As a student at NVCC, you are eligible for free tutoring through the Tutoring Center on the 4th floor of the CG Building. If you think you might want to do this, let me know and I will see whether they have anyone capable of tutoring in these subject matter areas.
Communication with Instructor:In addition to office hours, most class periods will have time for one-on-one questions with the instructor. Asking questions in this way is generally more efficient than email.
Required Email Address
I will email you at the email address on my class list which is your VCCS email address unless you specify a different address in Nova Connect. If you do not check this address frequently, I would recommend you set it up for automatic forwarding to an email address you do check more frequently. I will show you how to specify a different address in Nova Connect and to specify a forwarding address. Please remember to include your name in all emails to me since I often can't tell who you are from your email address.
Your grade will be a function of 3 quizzes (45%), a final (30%) and homework (25%). There will not be a lot of homework so failure to complete an assignment could affect your final course grade. Quiz1 - Fireworks, XHTML and CSS, Quiz2 - Dreamweaver, Quiz 3 - Flash; Final - inclusive. The grading of homework and tests will emphasize mastery of concepts and the ability to do a task according to the requirements rather than artistic ability or creativity. Although in other classes I offer students the ability to take makeup tests in the Testing Center, the software used in this class has not been available there in the past, and so please try to be present for all tests. .
Students are encouraged to help each other out; it is a large class which limits my ability to help each student during the class period. However, on work that is graded, there are restrictions on helping other students: On homework assignments and projects, students may ask for and receive some assistance from others, unless otherwise directed by the instructor. Yet those helping a student should avoid "doing the work" for the student. No assistance is permitted on exams and quizzes.
Dropping and Withdrawal from the Class:
Thursday, September 9 is the last day to drop the class and get a tuition refunds (use NovaConnect) or to switch to audit (which requires my signature). Monday November 1 is the last day to withdraw without grade penalty. The award of W after the last day to withdraw REQUIRES official documentation and the Dean's signature. Practically all of the people who get an F as a final grade from me are those that stopped coming to class and doing the work but didn't withdraw by this second deadline, even sometimes after email and telephone reminders.
NVCC is a place for learning and growing. You should feel safe and comfortable anywhere on this campus. In order to meet this objective, you should: a) let your instructor, his/her supervisor, the Dean of Students or Provost know if any unsafe, unwelcome or uncomfortable situation arises that interferes with the learning process; (b) inform the instructor within the first two weeks of classes if you have received a special needs or disability accomodation that may affect your performance in this course.
Fire/Emergency Evacuation Procedures
In case of emergency, please follow the emergency procedures as discussed on the first day of class and as posted in the classroom. Students should familiarize themselves with both the primary and secondary routes that are to be used, in case you need to evacuate the building, as well as other evacuation or shelter-in-place procedures to be followed.